Assessment of Need

By law, all children born since 1st June 2002 can get an independent assessment of their health and education needs. (The relevant law is the Disability Act 2005). 

Each Local Health Office has an Assessment Officer. You can contact your Local Health Office  through the HSE by:

  • phoning the HSE information line on 1850 24 1850 from 8am to 8pm, Monday to Saturday;
  • emailing; or
  • visiting the HSE website.

Assessment Officer

The Assessment Officer will:

  • help you with your child's application; 
  • arrange for the assessment to be carried out; 
  • help and support you through the process; and
  • organise your child's assessment report.

When your child’s Assessment of Need is complete, a Liaison Officer or Case Manager will prepare a service statement for you. The service statement will say what services and supports your child will get and from whom.

You can see further details on the Assessment of Need process on the Citizen's Information Website.

Continue to the A-Z of supports and information

Snippet Content 5

Health Service Executive Logo Health Services National Partnership Forum Logo National Federation of Voluntary Bodies Logo 

  • Informing Families Project, National Federation of Voluntary Bodies,  Oranmore Business Park,  Oranmore, Galway
  • Phone: +353 (091) 792316
  • Fax: +353 (091) 792317
  • Email:
© 2024 Informing Families


Search - Use spaces to separate your keywords
03  Thumbnail1