Entitlements and Benefits - Agencies to contact

You may be entitled to a range of entitlements and benefits if your child has a disability. These entitlements and benefits aim to support you as a family and to help your child reach their full potential. Click here for an introduction to Entitlements and Benefits.

There are several different agencies that deal with benefits and entitlements. We have listed some of the important ones below.

The Health Service Executive (HSE)

The HSE gives information on the:

  • Drug Payments Scheme
  • Long-Term Illness and Disability Scheme
  • Medical Card
  • GP Visit Card
  • Free Nappies Scheme
  • Diet Supplement Scheme
  • Mobility Allowance
  • Motorised Transport Grant
  • Community Welfare Services

You can phone the HSE on callsave 1850 24 1850 for details on where to apply, or visit its website at www.hse.ie.

The Department of Social Protection:

The Department of Social Protection gives information on the:

  • Child Benefit
  • Carer’s Allowance and Half-Rate Carer’s Allowance
  • Carer’s Benefit
  • Domiciliary Care Allowance
  • Respite Care Grant
  • Disability Allowance
  • Free Travel Pass
  • Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) Credits
  • Household Benefits

You can phone the Department of Social Protection Head Office on 01-704 3000, or visit its website at www.welfare.ie.


The Revenue Commissioners

The Revenue Commissioners gives allowances and exemptions from certain taxes and duties for people with disabilities and their families. These include the following:

  • Incapacitated Child Tax Credit
  • Health/Medical Expenses Tax Relief (Med 1 and Med 2)
  • Home Carer’s Tax Credit
  • Homemaker’s Years Credits
  • Relief on Vehicles for Drivers and Passengers with Disabilities
  • Allowances for Employing a Carer

The Revenue Conmissioners have Access Officers who assist and guide people with disabilities and their families to access the services of the Revenue Commissioners. Click here to see further information on the Access Officers or telephone  (01) 633 08 83. 

Information in several languages is available on the website of the Revenue Commissioners, and there is a specific section that deals with disability

For more information on the above, visit the Revenue Commissioners' website at www.revenue.ie.

Please note:

As payment rates and scheme names change over time, you can find the most up to date rates for the entitlements and benefits on the Citizens Information Website

Continue to the next topic - Assessment of Need

Page Details:
Author: Enable Ireland & Informing Families Project Co-ordinator
Date Created 1 October 2009
Date  Reviewed 3 March 2011, 2 April 2015


Snippet Content 5

Health Service Executive Logo Health Services National Partnership Forum Logo National Federation of Voluntary Bodies Logo 

  • Informing Families Project, National Federation of Voluntary Bodies,  Oranmore Business Park,  Oranmore, Galway
  • Phone: +353 (091) 792316
  • Fax: +353 (091) 792317
  • Email: info@informingfamilies.ie
© 2024 Informing Families


Search - Use spaces to separate your keywords
03  Thumbnail1